1. from Frank Scully (ed) Bedside Mania, Simon and Schuster, NY 1936.
2. Martinus Houttuyn, Houtkunde, Behelzende de Afbeeldingen van Meest alle Bekende... A Representation of Inland and Foreign Wood, as well as Trees and Shrubs, Amsterdam, 1773 - 1795. Not strictly a blank page but a most unusual titlepage of a frame of different woods looking through to.... a white space with hovering letters.
3. from The Herblock Book, Beacon Press, Boston, 1952, and a comment on the lack of freedom of the press in Argentina timed to coincide with the opening of the meeting of Latin American foreign ministers in Washington. "It turned out that the details of this cartoon edition of La Prensa hadn't gone unnoticed and I felt it was worth the trouble [of research]. I'm not sire it was worth the kidding I got for the next couple of weeks about having let myself off easy on that one." pp161 - 2.
4. The blank chapters from L.Sterne, Tristram Shandy, 1783 edition
5. The Cup We all race For, a trompe l'oeil painting by the American painter Peto.
6. American cartoon, undated c1958, 10 x 14cms
for THE BLACK SQUARE, see Kasimir Malevich, OT KUBIZMA I FUTURIZMA
K SUPRETATIZMY, Moscow 1916