01 - 03 Some diagrams of Ballrooom Dancing from Victor Sylvester's
"Magic Way" , Danceland Publications, London undated
c1949 In 1962 Andy Warhol produced a series of paintings (synthetic polymer
paint on canvas called Dance Diagrams, see the MOMA Retrospective 1989
160 - 163.
04. a diagram of a set of dance arrangements from G.Magri, Trattato
teorico-prattico di ballo , Rome 1779.
01... an engraving by Della Bella showing (central) the arena outside
the Pitti Palace in Florence where one of the last Ballet Festivities
for the Medici clan took place in 1637. Click for an enlargement. The
flanking panels relate to individual parts of the dance. The two mounted
figues are Della Bella himself and the chief engineer 32 x 44 folding
02. a plate from Kellom Tomlinson, The Art of
Dancing, London, 1735.
03. a diagram
of a dance from a manual for Dancing Masters, The Art of Dancing, 1734
04. from Illustrated July 1946 choreograhing dance
Alessandro Senese, Il vero maneggio di spada, Benacci,
Verona, 1660 - sight lines for fencing opponents.
02. One of the celebrated Life Saver ads of the 1950's
- always inventive and clear. here the artist plays with that most obstruse
of all sports diagrams - the American Football play. Witty and appropriate
to the task, it may even be authentic.