WHO IS THE ART DIRECTOR
1. The Art Director pure (and simple ?) Charlie Tudor of LIFE
2. The Art Director who is also a Designer
3. The Art Director who is also an Illustrator
4. The Designer who art directs Paul Rand, Matthew Leibowitz
5. The Illustrator who art directs
What influenced the design changes over this period ?
What was the influence of art directing across the field - e.g. editorial on advertising, magazine on book, magazine on advertising etc.
What Art Directors should you know about ?
Why are cigarette ads so UNMODERN in a period of radical design changes, i.e. conservative, unresponsive to typographic and image experimentation ?
THE OTHERS (Commercially Oriented)
Who wins the annual prizes ?
Who chairs the committees ?
see also L. Moholy-Nagy* and Herbert Bayer* ( Europeans in the US, Bauhaus, Constructivism, Surrealism etc.)